Thursday, December 14, 2017

Peter Said - I’m Going Fishing

I grew up a couple of hours away from the ocean. So I love the verses in the New Testament if they mention the seashore.

We’ve all read the account of Jesus in the morning meeting the apostles on the shore of the Sea of Tiberias.

“Tiberias” I think is another name for Galilee (?)

Yes it is, I looked it up - I have Biblehub’s app, so I have the interlinear study tools on my phone. (Hooray!)

The town of Tiberias is on the west side of the lake, so I’m thinking this means they were on the western shore. It likely was the custom, if you were on the western shore, to call it Sea of Tiberias.

So I was reading this - John chapter 21, where Jesus asks apostle Peter “lovest thou me?” (Ye olde englishe is how I first read it, so it's how I always 'hear' it.)

“Do you love me more - “and it’s usually translated as “more than these others?” or just “more than these”.

But today I was reading it in the Contemporary English Version and it said Jesus was asking “do you love me more than these others do?”

I thought, “what..!? ...No way.. that’s just taking it too far” (out there..) So I just had to read it in the interlinear. Well interlinear says the word used means “this”. Could it possibly be “do you love me more than this?” (Peter had said, “I’m a going fishing!” His livelihood and possibly pastime.. spent much of his life on the sea fishing..)

The language! It’s all Greek to me! I’ve tried trying to figure out the different spellings of the word usages.. Is it noun, verb, adjective..? Does it point forward, backward..? (Is there a sideways?)

So I looked up other translations of that version of the word, and I looked up other translations of the verse, and aha! “The Aramaic Bible in Plain English” translates it as, “do you love me more than these things?” So language wise it may not be an outrageous way of thinking about that verse and scene.

(John 21:15) "Do you love Me more than all this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment