Tuesday, March 19, 2024

WeekLy BooK oF Acts 25 1-27

     a paraphrased study

1 - Three days after the new (Roman) governor, Festus arrived in the province, he went up to Jerusalem from Caesarea. 2 And the chief priests and the Jewish/Hebrew leaders laid out their case against Paul, and urged him, 3 asking as a favor against Paul, that he summon him to Jerusalem—because they were (again) planning an ambush to kill him on the way. 4 But Festus replied that Paul was being kept at Caesarea and he himself intended to go there shortly. 5 “So,” he said, “let the men of authority among you go down with me, and bring charges against him there.” 6 Then about eight or ten days later, he went down to Caesarea. And the next day took his seat on the tribunal and ordered Paul to be brought in. 7 The authorities who had come down from Jerusalem gathered and brought many serious charges against him, but which they could not prove. 8 And Paul argued in his defense saying, “Neither against the law of my nation, nor against the temple, nor against Caesar, have I committed any offense!” 9 But Festus, wishing to do the leading Jews/Hebrews a favor, said to Paul, “Do you wish to go up to Jerusalem and be tried there on these charges before me?” 10 But Paul said, “I am standing before Caesar's tribunal, where I ought to be tried. To these leaders of my nation I have done no wrong. As you yourself know very well. 11 If then I’m a wrongdoer and have committed anything at all for which I deserve to die, I do not seek to escape death. But if there’s nothing to their charges against me, no one can give me up to them to carry it out. I appeal to Caesar!” (Paul was a Roman citizen, and one by birth, not purchased.) 12 Then Festus, when he had conferred with his council, said, “To Caesar you have appealed. And to Caesar shall you go!”

     13 When some days had passed, Agrippa the king (of Judea, under Roman occupation) and Berenice arrived at Caesarea and welcomed Festus. 14 And as they stayed there many days, Festus laid Paul's case before the king, saying, “There is a man left prisoner by (governor) Felix, 15 and when I was at Jerusalem, the chief priests and the elders of your nation came to me and laid out their case against him, asking for an immediate sentence of condemnation against him. 16 I answered them that it’s not the custom of the Romans to give someone up to their accusers without their meeting them face to face and have had opportunity to make their defense. 17 So when they came together here, I made no delay, but on the next day took my seat on the tribunal and ordered the man to be brought in. 18 And when his accusers stood up, they brought no charge in his case of such evils as I was expecting. 19 Rather they had certain points of dispute with him about their own religion and about a certain man, Jesus, who was dead, but whom Paul asserted is alive. 20 And being at a loss how to investigate this matter, I asked whether he wanted to go to Jerusalem and be tried there. 21 But then Paul appealed to the emperor, and to be kept in custody for him. So I ordered him to be held until I could send him to Caesar.” 22 Then Agrippa said to Festus, “I would like to hear the man myself.” “You shall hear him tomorrow” he replied.

     23 So on the next day Agrippa and Berenice came with great pomp, and entered the hall with the military tribunes and the prominent men of the city. And at the command of Festus, Paul was brought in. 24 Festus said, “King Agrippa and all who are present with us, you see here, this man, about whom the whole Jewish people petitioned me. Both in Jerusalem and here, shouting that he ought not to live any longer. (An exaggeration? Not unlike what still occurs.) 25 But I found that he had done nothing deserving of death. And as he himself appealed to Caesar, I decided to go ahead and send him to him. 26 But I have nothing definite to write to the emperor about him! Therefore I have brought him before you all, and especially before you, King Agrippa, so that, after we have examined him, I may have something to write. 27 For it seems to me unreasonable, when sending a prisoner, not to indicate the charges against him.”

 πŸ—️ [  ] - word/language insights, facts, cross references, etc.

      (  ) - thots


No comments:

Post a Comment