Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Zechariah 12 and 13

       snipped, paraphrased

The oracle of the LORD (Yahweh) concerning Israel: Thus declares the LORD, who stretched out the heavens and founded the earth and forms the spirit of man within him: 2 “Behold, I am about to make Jerusalem a cup of intoxication to the peoples surrounding her. The siege will be against Judah and Jerusalem. 3 On that day I will make Jerusalem a heavy stone for all people. All who would heave it away will be severely injured.. For all the nations of earth will gather against it. 4 On that day, declares the LORD, I will strike every horse with panic, and its rider with madness. (Of the four? 1:8-10; 6:1-7,8) But for the sake of the house of Judah my eyes will be open, when I strike every horse of the peoples with blindness. 5 Then the clans of Judah shall say to themselves, ‘The inhabitants of Jerusalem have strength through the LORD of hosts, their God.’

     6 On that day I will make the clans of Judah like a blaze in the midst of wood, like a flaming torch among sheaves. And they shall devour to the right and to the left all the surrounding peoples, while Jerusalem shall again be inhabited in its place - in Jerusalem. 7 And the LORD will give salvation to Judah first, that the glory of the house of David and the glory of the inhabitants of Jerusalem may not be greater than that of Judah. 8 On that day the Lord will protect the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the feeblest among them shall be like David, and the house of David shall be like God, like the angel of the Lord, going before them. 9 And on that day I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. (I believe by cause and effect, which God created, so calls it his wrath, and as done by him.)

     10 “And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and prayer, so that, when they look toward me, and on he whom they pierced, they will mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn. 11 On that day  ..14 all the families that are left, each by itself, and their wives by themselves, mourning.

Zechariah 13

      “On that day there shall be a fountain opened for the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, for sin and impurity.

2 And I will cease the idols from the land, so they shall be thought of no more. And also I will remove from the land the prophets and the unclean spirit. 3 And if anyone again prophesies, his father and mother who bore him will say to him, ‘It is not life, for you speak lies in the name of the Lord.’ And his father and mother who bore him pierced through (the heart) when he prophesies. 4 On that day every prophet ..ashamed of his vision when he prophesies. He will not put on a cloak (fine clothes?) in order to deceive, 5 but will say, ‘I am no prophet, I am a worker of the soil, for a man sold me in my youth.’ 6 And if one asks him, ‘What are these wounds on your back?’ he will say, ‘The wounds I received in the house of my friends.  - Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, against the man who stands next to me,” declares the LORD of hosts. “Strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered. The hand will turn against the humble of the land. 8 In the whole land, two thirds will perish, and one third will be left alive (Rev.12:6, at 70CE). 9 And I will put this third into the fire (metaphor) and refine them as one refines silver, and test (improve) them as gold is tested. They will call upon my name, and I will answer them. I will say, ‘They are my people’ and they will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’”


No comments:

Post a Comment