Monday, May 6, 2024

Zechariah - Chapter 4

And the angel who talked with me came again and roused me as from a daze. 2 And he said, “What do you see?” I said, “I see, a lampstand all of gold. [A lampstand promises a temple for it to be in, see study of Haggai - Israel had been in captivity in Babylon (sound familiar? all of us?) Daniel read the prophet Jeremiah and found out the captivity would last seventy years. Right on schedule King Cyrus said all Israel could go home, then came Haggai and Zechariah after a while saying it’s time to rebuild the temple.] The lampstand of gold had a bowl at the top and branches to seven lamps. (The oil to the lamps comes from above.) 3 And there were two olive trees standing beside it, one on the right and one on the left.” 4 I asked the angel, “What are these, my lord?” 5 And the angel who was talking with me said, “You don’t know what these are?” (Must seem obvious to the angel?) I said, “No, my lord.” 6 Then he said, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel - (the message being?) it’s not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the LORD of hosts. (Surely his Spirit is his Presence.) 7 Who are you! O great mountain/obstacle! Before Zerubbabel you shall become level as a plain. And he will bring forward the cap stone amid shouts of ‘Grace! Grace to it!’” [Zerubbabel was a leader in getting the temple built. And he is “a type” of Jesus, a prophetical type of Jesus who will build humanity - into a temple of God’s Spirit/Presence, who is love and the source of every good thing, including life.] [Grace - chen, hen - favour, grace, elegance, gracious, adornment, acceptance.]

     8 Then the word of the Lord came to me (Zechariah) saying, 9 “The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house (temple). His hands will also complete it. Then (when it’s built) you will know that the LORD of hosts has sent me to you. 10 Who despising the day of small things will rejoice in the big things? The seven (lamps) are the eyes of the Lord, which see throughout the whole earth.” 11 Then I said, “What are these two olive trees supplying the bowl, on either side of the lampstand? 12 What are these two olive trees?” 13 He said to me, “You don’t know what these are?” I said, “No, my lord.” 14 Then he said, “These are the two anointed ones who stand by the Lord of the whole earth.” [In this case, and at that time is Zerubbabel and Joshua.. led by the Holy Spirit/Presence of God to encourage a small, feeble band of returning exiles to rebuild, amid much opposition, what was laid utter waste. But the calling was of the highest, and God would provide. And will provide.]


No comments:

Post a Comment