Wednesday, January 17, 2024

WeekLy BooK oF Acts 20 17-38

  a paraphrased study

17 - When they briefly harbored at Miletus Paul sent to Ephesus and called the elders of the church to come to him. 18 And when they did, he said to them, “You know very well how I lived among you the whole time from the first day I set foot in Asia. 19 How I served the Lord with all humility and even tears, and during trials and troubles because of the plots of the Jewish leaders. 20 How I didn’t shrink from declaring to you all that was profitable, and taught in public and from house to house, 21 testifying to both Jews and Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus. 22 And now, I’m going to Jerusalem, impelled by the Spirit, and not knowing what will happen to me there, 23 except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me. 24 But I don’t account my life of importance nor precious, if only I may finish my course, and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify of the gospel of the grace and favor of God. 25 And now, I know that none of you among whom I proclaimed the kingdom will see my face again. 26 Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood (ruin) of any, 27 for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole purpose and counsel of God. 28 Pay careful attention to yourselves. And to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers (Mt.25:45-51, though verse 51 is horrendously translated and should read “at his return, will separate him/her from the believers and their part” - at that time, Mt.13:30! - “will be with the hypocrites”. Hebrews were not focused on an afterlife.) So care for the church of God, which the Lord obtained with his own blood. 29 For I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. 30 And from among your own selves will arise men speaking *twisted* things, to draw away the disciples after theirselves. 31 Therefore be alert (and KNOW the message, the whole counsel of God) remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to instruct and urge every one, even with tears. 32 And now I commend you to God and to the message and proclamation of his grace, which is able to build you up, and is able to give you the *inheritance* among those who are dedicated and sanctified (separated to change, hallowed, made holy/whole/sacred). 33 I coveted no one's silver, gold or apparel. 34 You yourselves know that these hands worked for my own necessities and of those who were with me. 35 In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” 36 And when he had said these things, he knelt down and prayed with them. 37 And there was much weeping on the part of all. They embraced Paul and kissed him, 38 and were sorrowful most of all because of how he had said that they would not see his face again. And they accompanied him back to the ship.

                         ~*~

     Very Brief Outline of Acts:

Jesus returns to where he was with the Father before his advent/visit (his brief first one).

The Holy Spirit/Presence of God is poured out on the believers who were in Jerusalem on the late Spring holy day of Pentecost. Peter speaks, there are 3000 new believers that day.

The good news message spreads, Peter is invited and goes to a Roman’s house and all believe. The first record of non Hebrew believers (besides likely some on Pentecost).

     Persecution breaks out.. jail. stoning. Pharisee Saul leads the persecution, but on his way to Damascus with papers for arrests, Jesus makes himself seen but is so bright Paul falls to the ground and is blinded. After two days he is healed and is a believer, and soon is called Paul. He wrote many (to most) of the New Testament letters, but spent a few years (it seems to me) exclusively listening to the Lord. He established many ‘churches’ in what’s called three missionary journeys, and met and worked with Mark and Luke, and quite a few others. (Luke wrote this Book of Acts.) His fourth journey is to Rome to trial as a prisoner. There’s a shipwreck on the way.. He wrote many of his letters while in prison and under ‘house’ arrest. ..And yes he was executed because of what he taught, as were all the original disciples turned apostles, except for probably John, who in his later years wrote three short letters and the vision and book of Revelation.

                         πŸƒ


No comments:

Post a Comment